Thread: How do I cope?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2001, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

HI Needles.
We all find it hard to accept. That's why you see over and over in 12 step literature that we have to keep going back and reworking step one. "We admitted that we were powerless over the addict. That our lives had become unmanageable."
Dino is the same age as your son. He is pretty intelligent, too. HE doesn't accept the magnitude of his problem. At least, I haven't seen evidence that he does.
Get this. The last time Dino went on a tear, I wound up on the phone with his mom. They had been sending him scads of money for "emergencies" on what was supposed to be a short trip out of town. She asked "what is he doing with all the money?"
"I expect he's back up to his old tricks."
"What old tricks?"
"Using drugs."
"Oh, but he swore to us he wasn't using drugs."
"Umm.... didn't he just get out of a drug rehab program?"
"Oh, no. He said that was for depression and anxiety."
Please realize that his parents have bailed him out of jail on crack charges. They've lost their HOUSE paying for his drugs, but won't acknowledge the problem. How's that for not accepting? You're way ahead of them.

Once you get past enabling behavior, the only thing you can do is find resources, tell him about them and pray he decides to use them. Now worry about YOU.

Smoke