View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

My oldest AD stopped by yesterday...

I've been taking care of her almost 16 year old dog for close to 4 years now, and she's not doing well at all.

My last two dogs were cremated and are in beautiful wooden urns on my piano. I wanted to be able to do the same for sweet Raven when her time comes, but I do not have the money.

I have fed this dog, bought her heart medications every month, paid the vet bills, and made sure she had warm pajamas in the colder months because of her congestive heart failure.

Needless to say there will be no money for cremation, but it was worth a shot. She did ask if she could come to see her yesterday and I said that was okay. She had the grandkids with her (they are with her on weekends), so I got to love on them a while.

I kept an eye on her like a hawk. I don't trust her. Raven (her dog) couldn't care less whether she stops by or not. She doesn't even wag her tail anymore when AD stops by because this has been her home for so long now, and she knows she is loved here.

AD's stay was short, which was fine with me. She wasted no time in acquiring another dog after I had taken Raven in, another one she's drug all over Timbuktu and back. It just saddens me because she did not learn that kind of pet care from me.

When I got Raven from her this last time, she was underweight, coughing, no appetite, flea-ridden, bald in spots from flea-allergy dermatitis, and her coat was dull.

I'm just glad I was able to provide a loving and stable home for the old gal as long as I have. I will have to call AD when the time comes because I can't bury her here (I rent) and she does have some church friends who bought a house out in the country where she can be laid to rest.

I am angry that she can't find the money to have her cremated after all the care I've provided for Raven, but I have to remind myself we're talking about an active addict.