Thread: I miss my dad
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Toomutch

I miss my dad

This morning I awakened early at 5:17, and set up straight up in bed, kind of in a panic. 17 years ago my father died at this exact same time, he was only 56 years old.

He lived quite an eventful life. Infact my childhood was like being brought up in a soap opera. Everything looked absolutely perfect on the outside, but I as well as the rest of my family (including dad) was hurting on the inside.

My dad owned a PVC plant, always had the best cars, looked like he walked straight out of GQ, yet I know he was never happy. He was very insecure, therefore he drank alot. He drank daily, he was out with the guys most nights, and when he did come home he and my mother had cocktail hour before dinner, he needed 3 Jack's and water befor he ate. He was also a heavy smoker.

I never viewed my dad as unhealthy, he always had a tan from golfing, fishing and boating and always kept his apperances up.

When he found that he had cancer in November of 1991, it came as a blindsided slap in the face for all of us. Not our dad - he's to strong. Three months later he died with us all by his side in Scottsdale Arizona. My dad who was 6'4" tall with a full head of perfect hair, within three months, was unrecognizable.

There was an unusual fog all around that day that suddenly lifted as my dad was taken out of the house and driven away by strangers. I can feel the pain as if it just happed this morning.

Just wanted to let these feelings out to my friends here who understand me, this will be a hard day for me, I miss my dad.