Old 01-10-2002, 05:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Molly

First...Thanks to Fathful Lady & Gold Lady for the sweet notes, much appreciated.

And sssalas...read your reply. No apologies necessary, I appreciated your candor. Not being a user/alcoholic, thinking woman or not, there are factors that I would not even have thought of.

I do know that he admitted himself to a hospital program here prior to joining AA..completely voluntary. Also, he was not a one/two beer or drunk on the weekend type.

When we were sitting talking one night, he picked up a quart bottle of spring water & demonstrated his former habit...it was vodka & he said he drank it like water...it actually made me cry when I saw him do that.

He is seeing a counselor once a week to get at the issues that predisposed him to his destructive habits, as well as attending AA, Al-Anon as well as a outpatient program at the hospital.

I don't know him well enough to know if he is a liar...but I know a lot of men (okay, okay & women <grin>)who are liars without being users.

I do know that he is a unique and special man, where men in general are concerned...and believe me, being a single parent & out in the dating scene on & off for 13 1/2 years...I have a pretty good sense about people.

I have chosen to back off...give him time & space for his own personal battles right now...based on some very sincere & good advice I have received in this forum. I will be supportive in the only ways I can think of... i.e. Cards, occasional e-mails & prayers....but from a distance. I can be a good friend too.

Not to be too philisophical, but I believe that God has a purpose for every meeting...for every person who's lives come together, even if only briefly: The old woman that you hold the door for in the shopping center, the kid who dropped his ice cream cone & you buy him another one, the person you let into traffic in their car, a smile. You never know how, even the smallest thing you do, could have a big effect on someone's life. I believe our meeting was destined, for whatever purpose it serves.
What I would "like" isn't always what it should be....I realize this.

If he calls me up in 9 months and says "I'm ready for you", I may not be ready for him. I will let God handle this situation, and I will just do what I do. He touched my heart, and maybe I touched his..time will tell.

Kind Regards,

Molly