Thread: Bill of Rights
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2002, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HellOn2Heels
Paused

Bill of Rights

I found these Bill of Rights for we anoners while I was digging through some of my "reference" material on codependency. I hope you find them as empowering as I did.

Bill of Rights

I do not have to feel guilty just because someone else does not like what I do, say, think, or feel.

It is okay for me to feel angry and to express it in responsible ways.

I do not have to assume full responsibility for making decisions, particularly where others share responsibility for making the decision.

I have the right to say, "I don’t understand" without feeling stupid or guilty.

I have the right to say, "I don’t know".

I have the right to say "no" without feeling guilty.

I do not have to apologize or give reason when I say "no".

I have the right to ask others to do things for me.

I have the right to refuse requests which others make of me.

I have the right to tell others when I think they are manipulating, conning, or treating me unfairly.

I have the right to refuse additional responsibilities without feeling guilty.

I have the right to tell others when I think their behavior annoys me.

I do not have to compromise my personal integrity.

I have the right to make mistakes and to be responsible for them – I have the right to be wrong.

I do not have to be liked, admired, or respected by everyone for everything I do.

I have the right to evaluate my own behavior, thoughts, and emotions, and to take responsibility for their initiation and consequences.

I have the right to offer no reason or excuses for justifying myself.

I have the right to decide if I am responsible for finding solutions to others people’s problems.

I have the right to change my mind.

I have the right to be independent of the goodwill of others before coping with them.

I have the right to be illogical in making decisions

I have the right to think about; my life, my goals, and myself and leave others to my Higher Power.

I have the right to leave the company of people who deliberately or inadvertently put me down, lay a guilt trip on me, manipulate or humiliate me. That includes my addict/alcoholic partner, my non-addict/alcoholic partner, or any other member of my family.

I have the right to a mentally healthy, sane way of existence, though it will deviate in part, or all, from my partners prescribed philosophy of life.

I have the right to laugh and play and have fun. I have the right to enjoy this life, right here, right now.

I have the right to carve out my own place in this world.
http://www.matzos.net/RainbowHouse/bill.htm

[This message has been edited by HellOn2Heels (edited January 30, 2002).]