Thread: Helpless.
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lenore

darkhunter, I can understand totally about people telling you that it's no big deal, that you're over reacting. I had the same thing from family, friends and even teachers as a teenager. Like you, I also had a mother that, when drunk, would yell nasty things at me, embarrass me horribly in front of people and then tell me that there was nothing wrong with her. That put me at such a low point that I really did think I must be over reacting and it must be my fault. I still struggle with that legacy now, but I see a very good therapist and she has gradually made me realise that I did suffer consequences of my mother's alcoholism and that I have a right to ask for support while I try to feel better about myself and my life. You deserve that too. I haven't been to an Al-Anon meeting before, but I know that plucking up the courage to talk with someone that understands is probably the most positive thing I've ever done so if you do feel able to attend a meeting, I hope it will be just as positive for you. Coming here and trying to talk to people at your school is a very big step and you should be proud of that.

As Dothi said with regards to your boyfriend, I'm sure he really wants to help but cannot fully understand if he hasn't been there himself. It helped me to ask my BF if sometimes I could just talk-that he didn't have to answer or suggest anything, but just listen. Sometimes that is the most wonderful thing someone can do for you.

The books that Dothi has suggested are very good. If you can get hold of copies of them they really are worth having. I hope that you find this site as helpful as I have