View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dothi

Hey bobb. Funny. My youngest brother is about your age, and also contends with an AF. He's the silent type of son, and when AF's drinking and behavior spins out of control he just closes up and stops talking. He's the family clown; the guy who's never serious and always cracking jokes. I always thought he grew up okay until I started reading up on ACoAs. It doesn't affect everyone the same. Depending on your gender, the alcoholic parent's gender, and possibly your birthing order, there can be dramatic differences in how people are affected. That's why it's so hard to recognize in ACOAs, because we're all responding in what looks to be differently. But the underlying cause is all the same - we are all acting (and reacting) in ways to deal with the stress alcohol creates in our lives.

Understanding what role you play may help you in figuring out how best to cope with your father's drinking (especially the kind of stress is it putting on you now). I have just started a new thread about the roles we play in alcoholic families. Feel free to check it out!