Thread: is it possible
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by katie53 View Post
I do believe she needs to work a program, but she feels she's fine without it. I still see compulsive behaviors, and prioritys are not with her children, it still seems to be about her.
Yes, she does need some sort of a program.

The drugs and alcohol were a solution for me for a long time because I couldn't stand myself. I was never comfortable in my own skin.

Abstinence from the drugs is a bare beginning to the process. If the underlying issues behind the addiction aren't addressed, well the results are predictable-back to self-medicating those crappy feelings.

My EXAH was a convicted felon, straight out of the penitentiary for the second time when I met him. He eventually ended up going back for a year on a parole violation, and was moved to a minimum security facility about 9 months in, where he went to a work site every day where they were building a work release facility for convicted felons.

They were randomly UA'd during that time, and he stayed clean while he was incarcerated.

However, once he was out and back home, it was a matter of weeks before he was back to the drugs and whiskey.

He never had a program of recovery. He only abstained during his incarceration.