Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
justjo
Sunny Side Up

Hi
Your post just reminded me of my sister. She has the same history as your friend but has been drinking for 20yrs now. Over the years she has become worse & worse. Over these years nothing you could say would stop this horrible addiction. She has lost everything!
I did the same, was there for her, went away from her, helped her again, stayed away again and now I really dont know whether she will every want to stop.
To keep my sanity, I have to keep my distance otherwise this just encourages her bad behaviour.
True, you wont stop him drinking but I believe just letting him know that he will have someone to go to if needed, is good.
If I call my sister to see if shes ok, she cries, because she cant believe I still care. (thats what she calls it). I will always care and it kills me to see what she has become. I accept it is her life but to be honest I find it difficult to accept she may die, therefore, I let her know I love her.
Be there in spirit for your friend but I would advise not to assist financially or otherwise.
Best Wishes JJ