Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Aysha
Looking For Myself...Sober

What if anything "good" came out of your addiction

I know..Sounds stupid right?
Not to me.
My addiction took me to places that would make the average person cringe in horror.
But with all that madness. Some good did come out of it.

I learned alot about myself and life through my addiction.
I was brought up very spoiled and never had to want for anything.
That wasnt so good. Thats what made being an addict so easy most of the time for me.
But eventually I did have to fend for myself. And it was hard at first. I wanted to roll into a ball and die. But I survived. And I learned how to survive with nothing.
I learned about people. The good..the bad..the ugly.
I learned to look past the outside of people and take people for who they were inside. Where their hearts were. You learn that fast in the street.
I learned that nothing is hopeless. And nothing is impossible.
I learned alot of valuable knowledge as well. Stuff you could never learn in a book or a classroom. More like common sense and street knowledge. That does come in very handy in everyday "normal" living. Hell I locked my keys in the car a few weeks ago. Guess how I got em out. Good ole street knowledge. LOL
So even though my addiction was like living in a miserable hell for alot of years. I cant say it was all bad. I learned alot of hard lessons I otherwise wouldnt have. Nothing beats first hand experience in my opinion.
And most of all. I learned that there is a better way to live. I can put those crazy skills that I learned to good use now in my recovery.
I learned I am a fighter. A survivor. And I will always be that.

Anyone else learn anything from their addiction?