Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
allport

Katie, the first time I ever got sober I got a lot out of aa because it was all new to me and it was a relief to meet people with the same problem.

As time went on and my mind cleared I too got sick of hearing the same stuff over and over( and I tried lots of different meetings) it got to the point I was feeling worse when I left than when I arrived.

The point of no return came when I went to my first meeting after my mothers funeral to be told, by someone who was well aware of my atheism, that god never gives you more than you can handle, and by another person that my sobriety was being tested. WTF

I went a few times after that but I realised that I had been fooling myself and the people there who were supposed to be my friends and helping with my sobriety were locked into a formulaic world where every problem could be cured by praying and the only time that mattered in your life was the time that you found aa.

Talk about cross addiction, I didnt want to deal with my addiction to alcohol to end up sitting in aa rooms every night reciting the words of a dead man, with people who whilst sober weren't able to deal with normal day to day life.

I know everyone will say all meetings and alcoholics are different etc but this is my experience and I was going to meeting several times a week for more than two years.

I don't know what it is I need to learn to start living life but I know I wont find it in aa and I hope by remaining sober myself I will be able to work it out.

Sorry if I rambled but Im feeling a bit weird today.