Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
Yes, that's how I feel.

This is part of why I don't feel AA is right for me, at least as far as a true PROGRAM goes. I just don't believe in a lot of the tenets that are crucial parts of "working the steps". I do not believe I am powerless. That, to me, implies a lack of personal responsibility. NO ONE ELSE is responsible for my actions and choices. Only I am. I knew darn good and well what I was doing and I *chose* to continue doing it.
I'm not AA-bashing, I promise. It works for a lot of people and I say,
good for them. Whatever works to get you sober is what you should do. That said, my impression of AA was that it was kind of whiney. Acknowledging powerlessness over an inanimate object (one that I had to make an effort to obtain) sounds... strange. I don't blame my bed when I oversleep, so why should I blame alcohol when I drink too much? It's not the best choice to make, but it was my choice.

Another facet of that for me is that the friend who got me started on drugs keeps apologizing. It kind of annoys me because I am the one who picked up the pipe and lit up. He bought it, he told me he had it, but I never had to smoke it the first time or any time after that. It was another bad choice that was still my choice to make.