Old 01-26-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Just curious, Gneiss, why do you separate alcohol and group all the other drugs together? I see them all as being unique and view alcohol as just one of the many drugs I've used.
I base that on how strong my addictions to each of them are. I am mildly addicted to alcohol. I was fairly strongly addicted to it at one point but then I started doing methamphetamine, among other things. The addiction to alcohol actually decreased. I did not want it as much; I'd still drink but my DOC was meth, and failing that anything that would get me high (as opposed to just getting drunk). When I decided to stop drinking it was not that difficult, I just quit going to the liquor store and the problem was mostly solved. Meth was (and is) an entirely different animal. At first I'd get a little drunk and start to want it, but it wasn't long before I was buying it stone-cold sober. All this past semester, my last in undergrad, I did not go more than 3 days without getting high. I took the GRE (standardized grad school entrance exams, for those of you who have real lives) and nearly every exam either high or coming down from meth.

I crave meth most of the time, I just sort of try to distract myself. I don't often crave alcohol anymore, but once I start drinking I have trouble stopping so for now I avoid situations where alcohol is present. If I could break that cycle I think I would be fine drinking socially but it remains to be seen whether I can break that cycle.