View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Thanks, vivid. I am actually doing better now. I don't know what my deal was earlier, but I finally dragged myself out of bed (I hadn't gotten out of bed yet when I posted earlier). We had a special lecture for grad students and faculty this morning so I went to that and halfway through it my mood started to lift. I got the giggles because the whole thing seemed so ridiculous. I was sitting in a dark room listening to a candidate for a geophysics professorship. This guy was from China and normally I don't have trouble understanding people with thick accents but I could not understand a word the guy said so I was trying to content myself by just reading the lecture slides. Only problem is that his slides were mostly long scary equations and seismic profiles, which are basically charts with squiggly lines. If you know how to read them they tell you what the rocks look like in the subsurface. But that's an area of geology I don't really have much experience with so I was still lost and it made me laugh. So I pulled out my phone, buried it under my jacket and had a texting conversation with a friend instead. Whatever works.

I went to lunch afterward and got the call halfway through lunch that due to an ice storm that arrived earlier than expected the university is closed for the rest of the day (and I suspect tomorrow as well, and even if it is not my prof already canceled class anyway. There was 1/8 inch of ice coating just about everything, with more on the way... 20 mph never seems fast until you're doing 20 mph sliding sideways). So here I am, sitting on my bed again, contemplating reading my homework. My geochemistry book is stuck in my car with the locks iced over so I guess I have an excuse not to read that, but the rest of my classes have homework online *grumble grumble*