Old 01-25-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by vividserenity View Post
The only thing I would say is know that you are giving them a glimpse of light, of possibility, of change, and as we all know change can be scary, even the thought of change.
Thanks vividserenity. Hitting the "Thanks" button did not seem enough. I have lots of great advice here and I appreciate all of it. When I started to get clean I found a friend who provided the glimpse of light I needed, and your post brought tears to my eyes.

I met him when I was 15 and thought something was not quite *right* about him, but I was a good girl and did not see that he was addicted to drugs. Over time we lost contact and did not speak for 10 years. A few months ago I was goofing around on Facebook and found him. For some reason right off the bat I knew it would be ok to tell him I have a drug problem. I don't tell people this as a general rule but I knew with him it would be ok. He replied back that he had been addicted to meth for several years and had just been getting clean when we met (which explained my gut feeling that something was not quite right about him) and anything I needed, just call. Well... I called him morning, noon, and night while I was getting through withdrawal for about 10 days and I don't think I could have stayed clean through that without him. I hate the idea of making my sobriety dependent on someone else, but for a little while I really had to. Once I was ready to take the reigns again he handed them back and told me he was happy to do it because he had gone through it alone. Might be corny but I still have the text message saved in my cell phone; it meant a lot to me.