Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
spark42
sentient puddle

I had a similar experience when i started trying to sort myself out. I'd alienated most of my good friends, because they weren't interested in drinking and drugging to the extent that i was, and surrounded myself with people who used in the same way i did. I still thought they were my mates though.

Only when i started cutting back on everything a few things happened, i realised all we had in common was getting wasted together, they weren't interested in being friendly any more, and they were all very cold towards me.

I really honestly can say i don't miss those people. A couple of my good friends from college were still there for me, even though i hadn't spoken to them much in years (for no reason other than being busy getting toasted), and they are now good friends again. I've also made good friends in sobriety, through the buddhist centre, aa, and so on.

I used to know tonnes of people. But none were really friends, just people i got wasted with. All you need is a couple of "real" friends.