View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I have never been to an AA meeting.

A few years ago, I was telling someone about my drinking and how it was getting out of control. He also wasn't a believer, but he suggested AA. I was pretty adamant. He said check it out anyway.

The next chance I got I went online to the AA site to see what was what. The page opened to the 12 steps...and my heart dropped. I knew then as I know now there was no way possible I could twist those tenets around to fit me. I knew if I went it would make my situation worse.

Katie, there are other things you can do if you feel that AA would be a trigger. You could try one-on-one talk with a counselor (I need to do that when I get the money). You can find people to hang around with who do NOT use drugs/alcohol. Surround yourself with positive people.

Ah, I just read that you're going to a SMART meeting.

See, there you go!
Aren't you smart! You figured it out right away! And you knew it would make your situation worse so you didn't have to listen to YEARS of people telling you that you weren't willing to go to any lengths, that you were not done and to come back when you were, that you needed a sponsor and to follow directions, that you were too smart for your own good, to stop thinking so much, etc, etc.

You're right, I am going to have to push myself to go out and surround myself with people who don't use.

Thanks for your post!