Thread: Grrrrrrrr
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
bugsworth

Ya know I don't think for a second that people who reject the aa philosophy are any less concerned for their fellow humans, quite the opposite in fact.

I find myself frustrated at times that the aa doctrine permeates into almost every thread...I think it is fine for people who utilize aa to share that with a newcomer BUT when members quote the bb in newcomer and the alcoholism forum I bristle. The bb is only one thought on the subject of alcoholism, one that I do not subscribe to.

I remember clearly sharing something an aa "old timer" once told me...."put your bb away and start living" almost immediately it was followed by a post stating that the "old timer" in question was going to kill "real alcoholics" with that advise. For me that advise was a life saver.

So many people leave aa...according to its own studies 95% by the end of the first year...don't these people deserve other more viable alternatives than the religious dogma the bb provides? aa since its inception has stated that they do not have the monopoly on recovery...people sharing why aa is not suitable for them is not ripping into aa it is sharing ES&H.