View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
Wow. Well out of 600 meetings I'd think you could find ONE that suited you!!

The group I visited had people who'd say, "I'm Katie, and I have a drinking problem" or "I'm Katie and I have the desire to stop drinking" or even "Still Katie, still a drunk". That always got a chuckle from the group.

I can understand your hesitation now that you explained a little more. Why don't you start by trying out those 2 secular meetings and seeing how they go? You might find that those are enough for you... or at least there you'll meet some people and get the numbers of some people you can call or go hang out with in between meetings.
Thanks TSH,

That's what my therapist suggested (the alternative labels you mention). However, I don't see what's wrong with just saying "I'm Katie, period." I suppose I could try that. I just have never heard that said before. Maybe you live in a more liberal place than I do. I can remember wayyy back when (like I was 17) having an issue with saying I'm an alcoholic or chemically dependent. I wanted to say chemically free, lol. So I've been dealing with this for sooooooooooo long.

Maybe I will just go to those two support groups. One is at a secret location (I'll have to contact WFS in PA to find the location and time) and the other is a SMART meeting. Good ideas and thanks much! I feel less panicked. :ghug3