Old 01-22-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by spark42 View Post
Sorry - ran out of text space!

So there is this dependence upon a scared text which is considered perfect, unquestionable, unchangeable.

To me anything that wants to be static, unwilling to be progressive, is unnatural. Life is all about learning, about change, about growth, about evolution,

the tendency of some (i underline some) aa groups to rely on dogma and be unwilling to progress and evolve concerns me, it is pseudo-religious to me.

There's a tendency to religiously follow the big book, no room for questioning or doubt, no room for progression.

Technically anyone who strays from the big book isn't "proper" aa. But in my opinion, progression is a good thing.

However i gave up trying to change the things i can't - along with the drink! I just avoid those particular groups.

The serenity "prayer" (mantra?) is one that i find very apt - i just try to change the things i can, and aim for the wisdom to tell one from the other!

Bit of a waffle but hope it makes some kind of sense!
Makes sense and I agree. The last time I picked up a BB - wasn't there still that chapter to the wives? I mean, as a woman, I find this very upsetting. I cannot quite describe it, but it's like women are not supposed to have this problem, which just adds a layer of MORE shame (for me) to having this problem.

Ah well, I should shut up now, but this is what happens when a person attends their first meeting at 17 and 32 years later is frustrated things still have not advanced barely in the whole field of addiction medicine and the "cure" for the "disease" is of a spiritual nature.