Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Katie09

Thanks both. I never knew how good I had it when I lived in the SF Bay Area - with lifering meetings all over.

I've tried AA down here and don't like it at all. I was in AA many years ago up in MN and this was in the late 70s when one didn't have to get a sponsor, work the steps. It was truly take what you need and leave the rest. I didn't pick up a drink for two years because I wasn't surrounded by people telling me what to do.

It's different now. I've been shunned at meetings as I don't see a need to label myself, say how much TIME I have, pick up chips, get a sponsor, work steps, read the Big Book, etc. I just want to be with a group of people who are happy without a bunch of rules and let me be me or the me I want to be - a non drinking me. It's so frustrating. Thanks for letting me vent.

Having said this and since AA seems to be the only game in town here, there is a 3 p.m. meeting I can go to. I don't have to say anything and I guess I will just sit there and hope for the best. At least it will get me out of this house.