View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Thoughts on 'fessing up to family?

Throughout my addictions to alcohol and other drugs, I have been careful not to let my family know any of it. They knew I drank, but never how much. My sister sort of caught on, but when my parents asked about it I was able to write the whole thing off. Thanks to some weird family dynamics (my sister is special needs) my parents accepted what I said; they have always put on blinders about me so they can focus on my sister. In addition, they have never been around drugs or people who use them so they had no way to know when I would come over high.

The other night I was at a low point and no one I would normally call to help me through it was available. And just so someone would understand, or at least be sympathetic, I was considering telling my mom everything: the booze, the drugs, whatever. My parents are politically and socially pretty liberal but they have always made it clear drugs are not acceptable and ultimately I decided not to say anything. I am worried about how my parents would react and until I am more firmly independent of them I think I should keep quiet, if I ever tell them at all. I think they would understand the alcohol problem. They would not understand the cocaine or meth though.

Any thoughts on coming clean to your family?