View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by ChrisClark View Post
You claim that you only had to wait a week and a half for most of your symptoms to go away. However, I am at day 21 and I still have the tingling in my face and legs, some paranoia (about nothing in particular), a bunch of anxiety, jaw pain, dry mouth, and the lightning feeling running throughout my body. I am worried because I do not want this to continue indefinitely.

You also mentioned that by the 2nd week your pins and needles would be gone. I am worried that I am still experiencing these. They are not constant but rather on and off through the day. Has anyone else had pins and needles continue for 21 days of sobriety or longer? I am really worried about peripheral neuropathy and permanent nerve damage.

I am worried that since I ignored withdrawal symptoms for 15 months, I have compounded my symptoms and really strained my body's ability to recover. I have read online about shingles (repeated withdrawals causing the withdrawals to become worse and worse).

How long did it take for your anxiety levels to return to normal typically?
I didn't have panic disorder until I had stopped drinking for six months, so I can't really answer your question. One thing I do know is that repeated withdrawals have a "kindling effect" I have read about that screws up one's brain. And I have had plenty of repeated withdrawals.

Your posts really hit me. They remind me of me and that is painful. I've gone through so many horrible things and can imagine how you must be feeling right now. I too, just kept wondering if I would finally be able to drink normally. I stopped drinking many years ago and couldn't see a life without alcohol. Now I am 49 and look back and just see a life ruined and controlled by alcohol. I wish I would have just stayed quit back then and learned how to live life. I do hope your symptoms are not permanent and that once you are feeling better you won't want to chance going through them again. Of course, I am no one to talk, as I have kept making the same mistakes for 35 years (minus those two years in my early twenties and not drinking. The most I've been able to achieve since then is around 55 days) and have yet to learn. But maybe this time...