Old 08-27-2001, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mindybadger

Boyfriend shows little emotions in recovery

It's been a long and hard road to get my boyfriend into treatment for alcoholism. Let's just say for over 2 years I put up with a lot and I need to go to Alanon and work the steps to get emotionally healthy again. He got out of a 28-day treatment program about a month ago. At first, he acted like everything was going to be so much better, more communication, etc. After the first day home, he's been keeping me at "arm's length". He doesn't show much affection or emotions. If I try to communicate with him about these things, he gets upset and tries to put it all on me. I realize I need to be patient, but I'm tired of not getting my needs met and waiting for him to get his act together. Is he exhibiting "dry drunk" behavior? I've made a 6-month goal for myself to move out and move on with my life if things don't change for the better. It's so hard to see that things can get better and that I could have a life where I don't cry every other day over his icy disposition or irresponsible behavior. Am I being too harsh...or too passive? I'm realizing how extremely co-dependent I am and I need to work hard to get better. I'm almost done with "Codependent no more" and it's a great book! I've just always wanted a healthy relationship, and I really love him, but my needs are important too and I'm tired of everything being about him. Any advice, suggestions? Thanks very much. I'm feeling really confused.