View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by C23 View Post
I once talked to a counselor who told me these "false hangovers" are the body's way of trying to get you to drink again. Think about it. One of the first things that probably went through your head was, if i am going to have a hangover, i might as well drink. Or, the other thing that could have gone through your head was, a beer would take this hangover away in a heartbeat. The body is really messed up if it wants something and it will do things to you to try and get it.
I only managed to drink a beer to cure a hangover once; even at the depths of my drinking I could never handle a beer in the morning. I would get up, skulk off to work or class, and after I was done for the day I would get hammered. And for a long time I used that as my excuse. At first it was "I'm not an alcoholic. I function just fine without alcohol. I go to class and get my work done, I just like to have a beer (or 12) to relax afterward." Later on it became "So what if I am an alcoholic? I get my work done, and I like to drink. If that makes me a functional alcoholic, fine. It still does nothing to harm you."

I see what you mean and you (or your counselor) could be right. Cool theory. Thanks!