View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mdhelp419

don't know what to do

Hi. I have a younger sister who has been abusing drugs/selling drugs for a long time now. I always thought that it was just a phase and that she'd grow out of it, but it has become obvious from reading other posts that this is not the case. She has a 5-year-old son and lives with my parents, but she continues to use drugs. She is still able to maintain a job, but she leaves early in the morning and then comes home very late and sleeps through the weekend. I found a small lockbox under her bed that contained electronic measures, measuring spoons, small baggies and empty pill capsules so I assumed that these were for selling cocaine. In addition, a bottle of codeine pills was found in her bag and her health complaints are consistent with opioid abuse. We had a family meeting in which she was given two choices - seek treatment or leave the house. However, since that time no one is certain that she has gone to her first session of treatment and she has an endless number of excuses for why she can't get her next appointment. My Dad believes that she is telling the truth, but I am worried that this is all part of getting back to business as usual for her because life around their house has continued in the same way that it had before the family meeting. I don't know what to do because I know that she won't hit rock bottom at my parents house because she's very well taken care of. And I believe the condition about leaving the house is an empty threat because they've told me that she can't really leave because they are worried about what will happen to my nephew. I'm at a loss as to what should be done or can be done. I want my sister to get help, but she doesn't think she needs help and won't need it living in my parents house. Has anyone else been in a similar situation or have any advice?