View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by spark42 View Post
I was thinking - perhaps it could be a migraine?

"migraine" was an excuse i used a lot when too ill with a hangover for work... But ironically i don't think i ever experienced a real one.

Perhaps when sober if someone suffers a migraine it feels similar to a hangover? Just a thought!
I have actual, real, honest-to-Your-Deity-of-Choice, diagnosed-by-a-doctor migraines. I have a medication I take when I start to feel one coming on. I have had them since I suffered a concussion when I was about 10 years old. I have a pretty stable set of symptoms including light and sound sensitivity, exhaustion, sinus congestion, nausea, moodiness, and my eyes "look weird," according to my mom and boyfriend. They are distinctly different from hangovers, for me. This might not be true of everyone.

My drink of choice was beer. The yeast used to ferment hops to make beer is high in B vitamin complex, which is a common trigger for migraines. While drinking, but before I started using drugs, I would get migraines relatively often. The worst ever was a morning after I had been drinking, I woke up with a stomach virus, a hangover, and a migraine and could not keep food down long enough to take the migraine medication.

Strangely, though I used migraines as an excuse when I was too high (or coming down) to go to class or dinner or work or whatever, I never got one the entire time I was using meth and coke. This is especially surprising to me because meth and coke interfere with your ability to sleep and I would commonly get migraines if my sleep schedule got messed up. I keep expecting to get a migraine because I have done things since quitting drugs that would normally cause migraines (like eating certain foods) but so far the migraines have not returned. How weird would it be if using meth cured migraines? Somehow I doubt this will be prescribed any time soon.