Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lynette57

Staying positive....letting go of the past

:wtf2My AD has found a doctor who is managing her methadone...and is also a physcologist. She has to see him every 2 weeks to make sure she is on track and also helps her with life issues.

I am so grateful to whoever or however she found this person. She is alive again, working on her life and learning to be a grownup.

She doesnt live with me, hasnt for 3 years. She lives with her boyfriend who she did the OXY with and they have both been workingon sobriety.

Almost 2 years ago they walked into my house near death. I nursed them back to health and gave them the space to get off the drugs. After 3 months they went back home and began the process of deciding to live or die.

They chose to live. I never tried to manage there recovery. Only laid down ground rules for my house. They respected my rules.

My husband does not like the boyfriend, has said he has given him a chance.
He isn't who I would have chosen for her, but alas it is her journey.

In the past growing up, (he is not her bio dad, but adopted her as her bio dad was never around)she has always done things her own way. He had a hard time with this but showed her love anyway.

She has made arrangements to go to a tech school, and try to find something to work towards. Every time I see her it feels to me like a miracle that she is on the planet.

I work my recovery every day and encourage them but have let them figure out there lives, and struggle to pay bills, to become grown ups.

They come on Sundays and her and I lay on my bed and laugh and snuggle.

Today my husband mentioned that she had shared her goals and what she was planning to do. Then remarked that she never seems to get one out of the park.
Okay to me she is hitting one out of the park everyday that she choses to live and work towards a future.
She is in her late 20's and he says things like her time to go to school has past and that she really hasnt done anyting since high school.

I chose to look forward, not blindly, but to not dwell in that dark place that she was in or revisit the eomtions of my own if I can.

He is a very high funtioning alcoholic. He does not see himself this way.

I wake up these days with gratitude that we are not where we were 2 years ago or even 1 year ago.

So I come here hoping for some positive thoughts.