View Single Post
Old 09-18-2001, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mindybadger

Faith,
What has helped for me is to talk to professionals. I've called the crisis hotline a few times, and the AA hotline a few times as well. They were very helpful and helped me get a handle on things, i.e. not have a breakdown. By the end of the conversations, I wasn't sobbing any more and felt much better. They also have good suggestions, or at least help you find your own answers. Again, there should be treatment centers or ? that have free intervention classes. Just going to one relieves some stress and is empowering to begin to get educated on the disease, even if your husband will go or not. Try to be as honest with him as possible how important his support is, then let go. Personally, the thing that helps me the most is to realize that I can't do it alone, and I don't have to. I ask God to take it, because it gets too heavy to deal with on my own. I don't know if you're spiritual or anything, but this is my experience, I hope it applies somehow. What also helps, is to take it a day, an hour, a minute at a time and take care of yourself first. Take a bubble bath, read something inspirational, meditate, talk to friends/family. I hope that doesn't sound too simplistic - I know you want answers and a resolution right now. That's been my natural response anyway. Take care and keep reaching out, help is there. God bless,
Mindybadger