View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
blufan60

As you can see from all these posts, everyone's situation is different. It seems to me that for someone to say you can no longer drink in front of your alcoholic is somehow saying that you can CAUSE your alcoholic to drink, and that, of course, is simply so untrue! We don't cause it, we can't control it, and we can't cure it. The alcoholic him/herself has to have some kind of program in place to get through some of those times when alcohol will be served since this is so common in our society. Either that, or become a hermit!

Personally, when my A stopped drinking 10 years ago, my drinking in front of him was NEVER an issue. I'm not much of a drinker, but he would always ask me if I wanted a drink while we were out, and sometimes I would and sometimes I wouldn't. I did worry that it would influence him, but once he got it in his mind that he could not drink, he just didn't. Going to a bar with only 10 days of sobriety is a bit dicey. But if he does go and nothing happens, that will show him he was able to have control over alcohol at that event. I think it is really up to the alcoholic. You will be right by his side, so do you think he'll really start drinking with you there?

Unfortunately, there are no right answers. And, hindsight is 20/20. Let us know how it goes.