View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
California

Caitlyn,

When my husband first got into recovery, he very biligerently said to me,"I don't want you drinking either". I told him, "fine". It was no big deal to me either way, and my feeling was if my not drinking helps him not to drink, I was more than happy to do that. The further he got into working his 12 steps, the less of an issue it became. His attitude now is, whether I or anyone else drinks or not, it has nothing to do with him. He didn't start drinking because of me, or anyone else for that matter, and he didn't stop because of me or anyone else either. He stopped because he lost control, and couldn't stop after that first drink. Now, if we go out to a restaurant, I may order a drink, but just as often I don't. He is amazed that I can stop at one, and sometimes, like you said, only drink half of a drink, but we have spent a lot of work together on our boundaries, where He begins and I end, and it is no big deal anymore. Of course, it took several years to iron this out and get to this point. This is just my experience, I hope it is helpful. I am in no way trying to suggest what is right for you, only you can decide that. Good luck.