View Single Post
Old 01-31-2002, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Caitlyn

Sick In The City

I think I have to clarify some things:

1. To go to the party is HIS idea - it is his close friend's engagement party. I have asked him if he would prefer not to go and if that is the case, I would be totally cool with it.

2. I ask about the drinking because my fiancee is very proud and does not want everyone to make a big deal over his problem. He is happy we are all supportive but wants us to all live normally. In the past two weeks he has twice asked me if I would like a glass of wine with my meal (out of consideration for me). I could not care less if I didn't drink in front of him. I RARELY drink in any case, at most 2/3 drinks at a party. Only about half a glass once a week with a meal. I only wanted to see what the "right" thing to do was ie. what the "right" thing to do for him to support him in his recovery.

3. There is some discussion between our counsellor and us about whether in fact he is a "alcoholic" or merely is a problem drinker. I do not care what the label is, I just want him to get help and he is. Whether this means he can sometime in the future drink occassionally or whether he can never drink ever again does not affect me - I just want him to be HEALTHY and SAFE.

I understand you have some issues with your partner - I hope you are both well and taking care of each other. I just wanted to clarify my position and the reason why I asked the question. It is not self motivated at all. I just want to see what was in the best interests of my fiancee.

Thanks for your post.

Take care.

Caitlyn