View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by grewupinabarn View Post
I was looking over the Characteristics of ACOA's in the stickies, and was thinking about these:
2. Adult children of alcoholics have difficulty following a project through from beginning to end.
5. Adult children of alcoholics have difficulty having fun.
6. Adult children of alcoholics take themselves very seriously.
7. Adult children of alcoholics have difficulty with intimate relationships.
2. This may not be a great fit for me, but it does sometimes crop up -- I'm sometimes great at doing the first 90-95% of something, and not so great at wrapping up the last 5-10%.

5. Yup. For a long time, I used to say (and feel -- or think I felt, at any rate) that I was not interested in fun, that life was not supposed to be fun. Also that I had a lot of goals in life, but that happiness was not one of them.

6. Yup. I guess at the end of the day, I still feel that... if you don't take yourself seriously, you're just setting up the "Oh, I wasn't really trying" excuse. But I'm not as bad as I used to be -- I can laugh at myself, e.g., when I scuff a golf ball into the woods or into a pond.

7. Yup. Never had so much as a date (of any kind whatsoever, that would be considered a date by any generally accepted standard) 'til I was 30. Got married at 34, but that was through a lucky accident. Long story, but one with a reasonably happy ...not ending, but continuation at least -- we're still going. I'm 45, and have a ring on my finger, but have never broken up with anyone. Is that weird, or what? :wtf2

T