View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
frame31

Should I date an alcoholic

I used to date 15 years ago a recovering alcoholic. Our relationship broke off, because she fell off the wagon, went to inpatient treatment far away and then moved. I got married to someone else eventually and we lost contact. I am now divorced. I have rekindled the friendship I have with the A. She has been sover for 8 months since her last relapse and says we can't date until it has been 12 months at the advice of her sponsor. Even in our friendship, however, I have seen signs that suggest to me she has problems relating to others which may be from her alcoholism and/or other things in her background. She has, for example, accused me of not caring about her as I did not maintain contact when I was married to someone else. She accused me of not caring about her, though I have gotten her out of jail in the past, visited her in inpatient facilities hundreds of miles away, taken care of her pets while in treatment, etc. She has at times not called me back when she said she would and when I have asked her about it, she had gotten angry and accused me of being her "parole officer". She invited me to a holiday party with her family and then when I went she spent no time with me, more or less dropping me at the door and leaving me in the awkward position of socializing alone with people I did not know. I like her and we have things in common. I consider her very attractive, but she just does things which socially I would just not do such as the above. My question is: does a long history of alcoholism in a woman make her just damaged goods and effect her ability to interact socially with a friend or date in an appropriate way. Is it worth the effort or should I just move on?