Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Morning Glory
Administrator

Our children are a common trigger for flashbacks of childhood abuse. Intrusive thoughts are also a common symptom. Obsessing about thoughts we feel guilty about is also a symptom and keep the thoughts going.

I'm working hard to be sure my child doesn't experience what I did. Which is making me jealous of my own child!
Working hard to make sure your child doesn't experience what you did is a huge step and it sounds like you have a lot of action to back it up.

I don't know all your details, but if your jealously is just a thought that doesn't harm your child just recognize it as an intrusive thought. If your jealously interferes with your parenting go talk to someone who can help you sort it out.

If your child is triggering painful memories it would not be uncommon to project some of your emotions onto your child who is triggering the painful memories. You may not be able to face all that pain yet. In my experience I had to face it all as a wounded child and was terrified as a child would be terrified. Once I faced it and remembered it I could look at it as an adult and it seemed much smaller. All my memories were triggered by my circumstances. Your trigger right now is your child. It won't always be that way.