View Single Post
Old 11-02-2001, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

HI Jen...
Welcome to the forum!
Okay, "psychotic" is a big word. If you really feel your behavior has bordered on the psychotic, forget him and get to a mental health professional in your area for YOURSELF. Most of us are a bit neurotic, and I hope that's what you meant.
Dealing with an alchoholic is a big gig, and if you feel you have your own problems on top of that, you need to start focusing on YOU. Coming to the forum has been a great help to me, as I also have logistical problems getting to meetings.
If you feel like you can't go through this again, then don't. Live apart. I know that's easy to say, but it may be the only way to get the focus off him and onto yourself.
Do a damage assessment. If the negatives to staying with your alchoholic outweigh the advantages, then put your energy into figuring out how to get loose, instead of into how you're going to help him or the relationship.
My dad was an alchoholic. He was the kind that really only hurt himself. He was a good provider and a good dad. Since there was no reasoning him out of the alchohol, we all just learned to stay clear when he became unreasonable. Usually, he was a cheerful drunk. Not all substance abusers have intolerably negative affects, and you are the only one who can assess that.
Keep posting. We care and we want to know what's going on with you!

Smoke