Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ago

Dazed

There's help there for him if he wants it, medical help, AA, outpatient programs etc.

Alcoholics sober up every day by getting help, but "It takes what it takes"

I was watching a speaker the other night that knew and partied with John Belushi, he was saying he died and he STILL didn't reach his bottom, just kept partying (this was funny) but the point was, every alcoholics bottom is different and it takes what it takes. When he's ready to quit the resources are there. AA works if you actually work it.

OK, enough

What can you do for you?

Seriously, I mean LTD commented on another thread (the one you referred to I think) that one alcoholic just talked about quitting and there was 20 responses and not one addressed the OP (I was just as guilty as everyone else) all about how to get some guy to detox that may or may not even want to detox, it might have just been "quacking" we don't know, but we all jump in to "save" him, forgetting the poster is the one in pain.

Let him get his own God Damned help. What can we do for you? What can YOU do for you?

This may sound harsh, but this is from an alcoholic who knows that's the only way an alcoholic ever gets and stays sober is by doing it for himself. "Enabling" alcoholics is not helpful, my mother has literally been "murdering" my sister for twenty years by being "helpful" and protecting her from the consequences of her actions.

You didn't cause it, you can't cure it, you can't control it, I know that's "the basics" and I'm sorry for pulling that tired old saw out of the books, but it's true.

What can you do for you?

There are a ton of resources out there for alcoholics now, it's time to take care of yourself kiddo ( hell I wouldn't even be one of "us" if I hadn't availed myself of this help, I'd be dead, drunk, or dead drunk, or in jail somewhere)