View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Coyote

Hello Historyteach,
I take it you've been through this process of dealing with the shadow? That your understanding of this is more than theoretical... do you mind sharing something about it? Like how you dealt with it and what triggered it? (If you don't mind.)

I'm really struggling with this process of dealing with it. I know that in order to integrate the shadow self, a person has to except it so that the negative can become transformed and I'm stuck turning the negative round and round. Making it more difficult is that it has been triggered by the re-emergence of somebody from my past...and there is a lot of projection going on wrt this person and it is harmful - it's a defense really against the other person who I love. I see it, but I'm having difficulty transforming it into something positive.

Coming from a certain type of background it was necessary for me - as a young adult - to really fortify my ego; moreso than is usually necessary for a healthy young person. I had no choice but to do that as separation of "self" was a key issue for my emotional survival then. You can imagine though, as one advances in age - a really fortified ego can block out god's will, if you will, or spiritual transformation. So it starts to work against you.
Care to share your experience in dealing with it?
Thanks in advance.