View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
prodigal

As Denny mentioned, there IS free legal aid to those who cannot afford it. Call your county prosecutor's office. Lots of young attorneys on staff take cases pro bono to get the experience litigating.

I am graduating in May with a degree in paralegal studies/business management from the University of Maryland (entirely online). If it earns me a paycheck and gets me outta here ... AMEN!

I understand having TONS of debt. I went through a debt consolidator. One step better than bankruptcy. I couldn't get credit to buy a new car, but I was able to get an aparment. If you don't want to go that route, the only other thing that has worked for me is to pay my bills as soon as I get them. And I pay a few dollars over the minimum - sometimes it's only $2 more, but my credit rating is slowly improving.

I live in a town with a TWENTY PERCENT unemployment rate, so I have to really jump out into the unknown. By the time I leave here, it will be on $6K in savings, less debt, and a prayer.

I know it looks insurmountable, but persevere. Focus on what lies ahead. Get as much free help as you can. It's out there. Try the YMCA and/or YWCA. Try the Salvation Army. Look for any free legal aid that is available. I wish you all the best.

There IS light at the end of the tunnel .... and I promise you, it's NOT a train!