View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 01:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

it depends definitely

If he stays sober, and works the steps, he's going to come to you one day doing a "ninth step"

I'd let him have it right between the eyes then, don't let him off easy.

If he mentions doing any sort of "amends" with you, and he opens up the subject at all, I'd let him have it right between the eyes.

The ninth step is ""Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others."

that means things like "Hey, I slept with your wife" are not helpful. Or maybe if you are Gavin Newsome's best friends wife and you have a press conference saying how you n Gavin were "doing the dirty" for the last 1.5 years is just not very helpful stuff. It doesn't mean allowing people to skate for their own behavior, drunk or sober. The rule is you don't hurt other people to make yourself feel better for any reason. Cosigning someone else's bullsh1t doesn't fall under this category in my opinion.

I am a male recovering alcoholic, and as such, I will lie to myself and "minimize" my behavior, these are traits common to both males and alcoholics, and anyone who lets me get away with this behavior is not my friend.

This doesn't mean I allow people to run over and give me their opinion or advice, because frankly I don't care for people who do that, to me that indicates a certain level of "unevolved" however, if I open Pandora's Box with an amends or even just shooting my mouth off, I expect and deserve to have someone tell me "the truth".

The most frightening words anyone in my world can say to me are "Do you want my opinion?" because that means I'm about to get truths revealed to me I'd rather not know about, and I always say yes if it's from someone I respect, because as a recovering alcoholic I need the truth in order to recover, and my view of what happened isn't always necessarily the "correct" one.

So, if he opens Pandora's Box with any sort of "amends" or he brings it up at all, you'd be doing him a disservice by withholding the truth in my opinion.