View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Brightening

For me, the strength of will I find to do all great things in life comes from "within" (cheesy, right?). Not the "me" that is destructive, but that better person I know resides there, waiting to be drawn out. I feel very accomplished (good marriage, good career, etc) for my 25 years, and I give credit to myself for getting there. Why would I not give myself credit as I overcome addiction? For me, placing the "reins" outside of my inner self (giving it over) is contrary to how I've progressed in life. Deities have no place in my spirituality, and one of those will never take credit for my accomplishments OR my failures. This is why the whole "it's not my fault, I have a disease and have no control" thing doesn't ring true for me. I get my strength from knowing my behavior and its consequences lie squarely in my lap. However, I can get on board with the notion that many people find "god" within themselves, their family, their friends, etc. Nomenclature makes little difference as long as it WORKS for that individual.