View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
choose2bhappy

I am an addict and now that I am clean and sober I see my addiction coming out in other ways..such as over exercising, spending sprees, dieting, becoming co-dependant to SO and his behaviors.

I am learning a lot from NA...and one is that addicts are extremely bright, creative, intelligent, talented and industrious people. (when clean) We can also be manipulative, cunning, calculating and more (in active addiction) I am new but I have listened to addicts who went from "park ave to the park bench" and the NYC ballerina who wound up stripping. It is raw. I have been moved to tears by stories of people who truly recover...and after taking all those hard knocks I think you truly are a sincere person and a valuable friend because you know without that you have nothing.

Another thing I learned from a CASAC course I took in the fall was that addicts have to surrender to their inner addict. The inner addict wants control. Once you give up you can then give yourself to your higher power and the inner addict has no more power.

I named my inner addict "Gretchen". The instructor who held the workshop is a drug counselor at a prison, so I figured he knew a few things..a very fascinating and informative day.

The addict inside will always try to find a way to keep addiction alive. I am new but I think arming yourself with knowledge and information and even taking some workshops. It's my life and this is my disease, I want to know all I can to manage it..and share as much as possible with anyone who wants it.

Good topic!