View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sunnyday3

I've often wondered the same thing. When I was growing up, my dad was a high functioning alcoholic I guess. He probably drank almost every night after work, but still managed to make a very good living. He never lost his job or got a DUI. He supported 4 kids through Catholic school & college, & my mom was a homemaker, but in my mind he was an alcoholic. I hated every minute of it, but now what did I turn out to be?? I'm an alcoholic. I have 3 brothers. One is an alcoholic. One is addicted to pot, & the third brother is very normal. He has a few beers now & then, but it's never an issue for him. We grew up with my dad & uncles drinking right in front of us, so is it genetic or is it what you grow up with?? I think it's a combo of both. I really think an addictive personality is genetic, but I often wonder what it would have been like if I didn't grow up with it right under my nose & being exposed to it all the time. I don't know if I'll ever be able to figure it out. I didn't grow up in a traumatic household. Even now my life is pretty normal, but I still find excuses to drink. I don't have any major issues, but I turn every little issue into an excuse to drink. I don't know if I'll ever figure out why I turned to alcohol. I think everyone's situation is really different.