View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
parentrecovers
let it grow!

my friend the photographer, i've known him since i was high school. he's about 5 or so years older than me. he quit drinking in 1983. his parents were both alcoholics, and he got it too he bought a bar in 1980 (bad bad idea) and that was his bottom. he'd go to a 24 hour bar and drink BEFORE he opened his bar at noon. he ended up in all kinds of tax trouble, and had a bankruptsy. he said at the end he drank a case of beer a day, along with other stuff. he did aa for the first year or so, and then quit going. but he lives by a lot of the principles, and has never had a taste of alcohol since. he's got a good life now, a solid career and a lot of interests besides his camera stuff. he golfs and bowls and even still plays some hockey with some older guys that can't kill him. the only thing he had to give up after he quit was throwing darts. he says he could never throw a dart again after he quit - he sucked at it sober and it really triggered him.

he's been a big help to mr k and i with daughter. and that's the story of my friend. ha! a good recovery story, i think.