View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ago

What is a Big Book Thumper (to you?)

I just had an a-ha moment reading one of Rufus Posts' concerning "Big Book Thumpers"

So the title stands, "What is a Big Book Thumper to you?"

I realized that BB Thumpers in my opinion all fail to read the same few sections of the Book.

Love and Tolerance of others is our code.

God has peopled this world with physicians and practioners of various kinds who give of themselves freely etc and that their services are often indispensable to helping the newcomer and following his case afterwards

We realize we know but a little, what we have found is an answer that works for us

sometimes not always they say I have to have "their" concept of God, although the book clearly states I get to choose my own concept of a power greater then myself.

Quite often these are folks that fail to have a successful relationship but have no problem "arbiting" the sex lives of others.

Quite a few also point back to "The Golden Age" of AA which frankly never existed, there were addicts, fornication, arguments, 13 stepping, etc from the very beginning, "Hospitals and Institutions" which is older then everything except "General Service" was founded with a fist fight in the parking lot of San Quintin

They miss where Bill wrote "AA must always be all inclusive, never exclusive" You are a member if You say you are, and the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

This, I'm sure by no means covers everything for me, but for example Steve, Taz, and Rufus constantly refer to the Book, I don't think of them as "thumpers" so that made me question what a thumper is to me and the answer was illuminating.

"me" or "you" are acceptable answers, but what is a BB thumper to you? Is it a good thing? is it bad?

I mean this thread to be helpful to both myself and others, lets keep it clean, I, by no means mean for this thread to be controversial I just had an a-ha moment reading Rufus regarding my perception.