Old 12-01-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rozied
rozied

WE seem to have alot in common. I was raised in the Catholic Church also. I am also a BSN. My 1st marriage was to a " believer " and we were married in the Catholic Church. He turned out to be a Compulsive Gambler. I spent the next 10 yrs of my life trying to make it work but it was impossible. I divorced him, remarried him then divorced him for good. I stayed alone for 8 yrs before meeting, and marrying my present husband. He was Catholic also and a widow so I went to my priest and had no problem getting an Annulment. That was in 85, it cost me only $250 at the time.
If you marry in the church and your husband doesn't live up to his duties, and committment there are grounds for Annulment. Being your AH is not a Believer I don't believe the church recognizes the marriage.
Do what is best for you. As you said you are not planning to get married right now so there is no reason to hurry with a divorce. I didn't seek my divorce the 2nd time until I was ready & did not look into an Annulment until I was engaged to my present husband who is Catholic. We both wanted to be married in the church. In 84 I had a civil ceremony & in 86 was married by our parish priest.
Wishing you the best of luck.
Try dropping that Catholic girl guilt thing...........we all have it!