View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
iamica

I have a lot of memories, and they confront me when I don't expect it. They're usually triggered by someone yelling at me (and I work with angry customers a lot, so I get flashbacks to my dad yelling at me whenever that happens).
My earliest ones are my mom driving my little brother and I to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, to pick up my drunk dad after he was abandoned by his drunk friends on the side of the road.
I remember him tearing down our Christmas tree and ornaments breaking everywhere (it's hard for me to look at a Christmas tree and not remember that).
There was a vent in my bedroom on the second floor of my childhood home, which my brother and I could look into to see the kitchen below. We would huddle there for hours while my drunk father screamed at my mother for hours, while she would just stand there and take it, and do nothing.
He didn't physically abuse us much, it was mostly verbal and emotional abuse. He would walk around with a sharp butcher knife, a menacing look in his eyes. He slammed me against the fridge once after I turned off the radio and told me he would kill me if I touched it again. He threw me on a couch once and beat my arms and legs until they bruised...the beatings had to be in places where they could be covered by clothing, so none of my teachers or others at school would see them.
Someone ratted on my home situation to the school counselor once, and I had to tell my mother that I had gone to her office. She told my father, who got drunk one night when no one was home but the two of us and made me sit in the livingroom for 4 hours while he screamed at me. He told me he wished I had been an abortion (my parents got married because my mother got pregnant with me). He blamed me for everything bad that had ever happened to him, and told me it was my fault that he was unemployed and that he drank. He called me all sorts of terrible names, and told me if I ever talked to anyone outside of our family about what went on inside the family that he would kill my mother. I was scared to go to the counselor after that.
Sorry if this is a lot...I needed to get that off my chest.