Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
blizzard77

Divorce not an option according to my priest?

I was brought up in the catholic church. I attended catholic grade school, high school and college. I do not attend church on a regular basis but have always had and have a personal relationship with God. I have sought out the advice of priests after the death of my mom and husband. I have never sought out advice on the subject of AH. Mostly because he is a non-believer and I was ashamed to say that I was in a relationship with a non-believer.
So, I did meet with a priest from my local church (I have yet to become a member). In short I told him of all that has happened between AH and myself over the years. He was very compassionate and understanding. I told him I was ready to divorce my AH. He told me that the Bible sees divorce as an abomination. That we (I) stood before God and made a life commitment to this eachother. He reminded me of the vows I had spoken. His advice to me was that we are now one in body and flesh. And although I should not condone his behavior and way of life, I should read more into the Bible on what God says of marriage. He suggested I do this before I go and file for a divorce. I am so confused. He told me to trust in God, to remain steadfast in my commitment to my marriage no matter how painful and God promises if I follow his word as he states in the Bible He will heal this shattered relationship. Even if the sick one AH is a non-believer. UGH!!!!!!!! I am so confused.