View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
GingerM

The memories can not be thrown away or repressed. But if you can learn to hold them gently in your hands, to know that they are as fragile as you yourself felt when experiencing them as they happened, to look at them and say "I will comfort you, memory of mine, for we do not have to live like that anymore", if you can do that, they will cease to torment you and become a point of love for you. Rather than looking to your parents to love you, you are now an adult and can love yourself. By holding those memories gently and caring for them, comforting them, as you would a small terrified child, you can gain peace with them.

I doubt anyone on this forum does not have memories similar to yours. I am either blessed or cursed in that I didn't repress any of mine. I know exactly why certain things send me into emotional turmoil. I am blessed in that I have no hidden memories to pop up out of nowhere, so I can look those memories in the eye, and welcome them to be a part of who I am now. Cursed in that I can remember them quite clearly, and they are quite powerful at times.

You are not alone.