Thread: What Next?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
IO Storm
IO Storm

Psuge..

Congrats on your 21 Days !

Maybe you've heard this before..maybe not..but this is one of my favorite readings

I love to hear when I attend an AA meeting.

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his liquor drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, had to be smashed.

We alcoholics are men and women who had lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovered this control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals - usually brief - were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better.
More About Alcoholism--AA Text

I sure tried the experiment over and over again. I got sober, felt better for awhile

then thought.."I can do it, I'll just have wine with dinner." Yeah right.

I remember, a few weeks after rehab..my daughter heard me popping a tall one in

the restroom. "Mama..are you drinking in there?" I came out with it in my hand..

nonchalantly.."Oh.didn't I tell you?" "Rehab cured me..I'm in Alanon now."

My addictions turned me into a liar..and I believed them myself.

It is called denial and more..delusion.

I finally did "get it"...I kept coming back.

You might try AA...

Hugs, and good luck.